California Arts Education Framework
The California Arts Education Framework for Public Schools, Transitional Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve was adopted by the State Board of Education on July 8, 2020. The framework provides guidance for the implementation of the California Arts Standards for Public Schools, Prekindergarten Through Grade Twelve adopted in 2019.
Framework Resources and Implementation
The California Arts Education Framework Resources for Implementation Hub contains collections of resources for framework implementation. Resources include:
- Videos, including the full video and video excerpts from the virtual launch of the framework in 2022
- Infographics and handouts, including downloadable bite-sized PDFs focused on key topics from the framework
- Slide decks that can be customized for use in professional learning framework rollout and implementation sessions
The Hub and related framework activities are intended to support the implementation of the guidance in the Arts Education Framework. This work was initiated and continues to develop through collaboration among the following organizations:
- California County Superintendents Statewide Arts Initiative
- The California County Superintendents Curricular and Improvement Support Committee (CISC)
- The California Arts Project (TCAP)
- The California Department of Education (CDE).
After working together to plan face-to-face rollouts throughout California hosted by the eleven Regional Arts Lead County Offices of Education in partnership with key leaders from TCAP, school closures brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic required suspension of these plans. After gathering feedback from across the state, and taking heightened health and safety considerations into consideration, the partners designed a three-year plan with a different approach designed for a virtual context. Read more about the collaboration here.